New and Peachy

Thanksgiving is coming but nobody cares...

Hola Familia, Amigos y Cualquier Otra Persona que lea este Email, We went into Walmart today and I couldn't quite determine the emo...

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Hola Mis Amigos!

Hola Mis Amigos!

I pray life is treating you well wherever you find yourself this week. I know school/college is starting back up for many of you and I hope that this new year has been smooth sailing so far!  I can't believe it has only been three, YES THREE, days since my parents dropped me off (seriously, we pulled up and a sister missionary helped me get out my bags, I hugged my family one last time, and she left with me in tow... all this happened in like, 2 minutes MAX) at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah. Feels like weeks. Since then, it has been a whirlwind of Spanish and the Gospel. Right after I arrived, I dropped of my bags in the Residence Hall and went to class. Talk about drinking from a firehose. Spanish. The Gospel in Spanish. Spanish. The Gospel in Spanish. Spanish. All day, Every day. Our teacher only speaks in Espanol and half the time he gets blank/confused stares. Even though I feel whelmed (not overwhelmed, simply whelmed) I testify that the gift of tongues is REAL. The amount I have been able to learn, retain, and use is amazing. Thank goodness I have 6 weeks here before I head to Atlanta. 

My companions are Hermana (women on missions have the title of Sister ____ but in Spanish, the word for sister is hermana) Paskins and Hermana Esplin. They are both from Utah, Hermana Paskins is from Draper, Utah (haha) and she played on the Utah Valley University soccer team before leaving on her mission. Hermana Esplin is from Sandy, Utah and is the sweetest human. They are both so patient, kind and are beautiful examples of Christ. Hermana Paskins is headed to San Diego, California and Hermana Esplin is headed to Des Moines, Iowa!

In my district, there are also 6 Elders (young men on missions have the title of Elder). They are great. They keep class VERY entertaining. 

We taught our second lesson today IN SPANISH to our investigator Erika. She is a student at the college here and she is interested in learning more about the Gospel. It is difficult to teach in Spanish when my knowledge of the language is slim, but tonight, oh my goodness, the Spirit was so strong in the room as we testified of God's love for all of His children, including her. Especially her. In our last lesson she had told us that God didn't love her, He loved everyone else, but because she had done so much wrong she felt He didn't love her. We told the stories of the Prodigal Son and The Lost Sheep (in Luke 15) and then the story of Alma the Younger (Mosiah 27 in the Book of Mormon). When we were talking to her about Alma the Younger and his experience with repentance, she was so focused. We referenced Isaiah 1:18 about how our sins can be as scarlet but through Christ they can become as white as snow. The Spirit was there as she prayed for the first time with us. Hearing her express her desire to have a change of heart and return to Him brought tears to all of our eyes. It was a humbling experience, and all in Spanish. Even with our poor Spanish and struggling to figure out how to say things, the Spirit was there. The Holy Ghost taught Erika of the truthfulness of the Gospel, not us.

I love this beautiful work that I am about. Yes, it is difficult. Yes, I struggle. But I know that through Christ I can do all things. Each of us are here on this earth for a purpose and I am so grateful that I made the decision to serve a mission. To share a glorious message. I testify that no matter what you are going through, God loves you and no matter how far you may stray, Christ's Atonement is Infinite. President Thomas S. Monson said: "God's love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve love. It is simply always there."

Con Amor,
Hermana Draper

PS: Funny Moments, because let's be honest, I love those:

In class, one Elder was saying the word for desk. The word in Spanish is pupitre. Except he pronounced it poopy-tray. That Was Marvelous. 

My companions and I were walking into the cafeteria for lunch and we walked past an Elder who was sitting at one of the lunch tables... we stopped and did a double take. He had 9 bowls of cereal in front of him!!! All lined up, three by three and filled to the brim with frosted flakes. We walked past again just to check on his progress and the guy was sweating bullets and choking down his sixth bowl... I guess it was a dare?


No comments:

Post a Comment